A region primed for growth, rooted in manufacturing innovation
Geographically located at the centre of the UK, the Sheffield City Region has been at the heart of manufacturing and engineering innovation since the Industrial Revolution. Today the Sheffield City Region has one of the greatest concentrations of advanced manufacturing businesses in the UK, and continues to attract world-leading technology and engineering innovators to its purpose-built facilities, network of support services, highly developed infrastructure, skilled workforce and – now – a range of incentives and support as a result of its Enterprise Zone status.
Why locate in the Sheffield City Region?
- The UK’s most centrally located city region – at the hub of key road and rail networks.
- 2.1 million people live within a 60-minute commute of the region.
- Core sector strengths include advanced manufacturing, creative and digital industries, business services, logistics, low-carbon industries and healthcare technologies.
- Home to world-leading manufacturing and engineering companies, including Boeing, Rolls-Royce, Tata Steel, Siemens VAI, Koyo Bearings, Bridon International, Pegler Group and Outokumpu.
- Home to the strategic operations of major organisations such as HSBC, B Braun, Aviva, DLA, Polestar, Sandvik, IKEA, Amazon and ASOS.
- Proximity to major UK business centres in Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham – and only 90 minutes by train from London.
Britain’s most concentrated and popular higher education destination outside London, with 12 universities less than an hour away providing more than 313,000 students and 92,000 graduates per year.
- Hosts engineering, technology and materials research centres of excellence at the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University.
- Sheffield is the only UK city to have a national park within its boundary – and is home to the UK’s largest theatre complex outside London.